- The Kindle Cloud Reader is a browser-based Kindle eBook reader that you can use on your computer.
- You automatically have access to the Cloud Reader with your Amazon account.
- You can purchase Kindle books using the Kindle Store link at the top of the Kindle Cloud Reader library page.
- Visit Insider’s Technical Reference Library for More Stories.
Amazon Kindle is a popular tablet designed for reading e-books, and if you buy Kindle books from Amazon, you can read them using the Kindle app for other mobile devices like iPhone, iPad and Android. But Amazon gives you another easy way to read eBooks – by using the Kindle Cloud Reader, which lets you read your books online in almost any web browser.
How to Configure and Access Kindle Cloud Reader
If you have an Amazon account, you automatically have access to the Kindle Cloud Reader; you can open it in any popular web browser and sign in using your Amazon account credentials.
If you don’t already have an Amazon account, you’ll need to create one before you can start using Kindle Cloud Reader. Go to Amazon and click Account and Lists top right. In the drop-down menu under the New to Amazon? heading, click Create your Amazon account and follow the instructions to get started. Once you’ve created an account, the Kindle Cloud Reader will be ready and waiting for you.
How to Add Books to Kindle Cloud Reader
You can add books to your Kindle Cloud Reader by purchasing eBooks from Amazon.
From the Kindle Cloud Reader, do the following:
1. Click on Kindle Store at the top right of the page.
2. Browse or search for books. When you find one you want, click on it.
3. On the book’s product page, make sure the Light up the version is selected. You may also see other editions listed, such as Paperback, Hardcover, and Audiobook.
4. Before you complete the purchase, you may notice that there is a Deliver to: scrolling menu. It is not important to select a specific entry (such as Kindle Cloud Reader). When you buy a Kindle book, it immediately becomes available on all your devices, including the Cloud Reader.
5. Buy the book in the usual way.
You should see the new book automatically appear in Kindle Cloud Reader.
How to Read Books on Kindle Cloud Reader
Reading a book in Kindle Cloud Reader is simple: click on the title you want to read. The book will open and you can move forward through the book by clicking on the arrow on the side of the page, using the keyboard arrow keys or the space bar.
You can also personalize the reading experience with a small menu. To bring up the menu, move the mouse pointer up or down the page. Here are your options:
- Kindle and your library: Click the Kindle logo or the Your Library button to return to your library page and select another book.
- Go to menu: This menu, which looks like three horizontal lines, gives you direct access to specific parts of the book, such as the cover, table of contents, or a specific page.
- Display settings: This menu allows you to change formatting and readability options such as font size, margin size, page color, and number of columns.
- Toggle Bookmark: click on it to bookmark (or remove bookmark from) the current page.
- Show Notes and Marks: This button displays a list of all pages that contain bookmarks, notes, and highlighted text.
- To sychronize: Click this button to manually sync the current book so that all changes are up to date on any other device you want to read it on.
- Site: At the bottom of the page, you will see a slider that indicates where you are in the book. You can drag the cursor to quickly navigate to another location.
In addition to these menus, you can highlight text or add notes for future reference. To do this, select the desired text with the mouse and you will see a context menu appear. To choose Highlight Where To note and enter a note if you want.
How to Delete a Book from Kindle Cloud Reader
One of the downsides of using the Kindle Cloud Reader rather than the Kindle mobile app is that the Cloud Reader can be cluttered with books, potentially making it difficult to find a title you want to read.
If you want to organize the Cloud Reader by deleting a book, unfortunately you have to delete it permanently from your Amazon account (so if you want to re-read it, you will have to repurchase it). If you want to do this:
1. Open the Amazon website in a web browser.
2. Move the mouse pointer over Account and Lists then click on Content and devices from the drop-down menu.
3. Check the box for one or more books you want to delete, then click To delete at the top of the page.