INDIANAPOLIS, 02 Feb. 28, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Poptential™, a family of free social studies lesson modules that combine pop culture media with engaging digital storytelling, offers teachers a relevant and compelling way to bring the words and actions of our greatest presidents to life on Presidents Day, February 22. Click to tweet.
Poptential is designed to reach today’s discerning learners with thoughtful and entertaining programming, using multimedia clips from movies, TV shows and news reports to illustrate lessons.
“Using popular culture in teaching social studies has proven effective in imparting knowledge and teaching students how to think critically while keeping today’s students engaged,” said Fred Fransen. , CEO of Certell, Inc., the creator of Poptential.
Research by Project Tomorrow® shows that 90% of teachers using Poptential say it increases their classroom effectiveness, and 84% of students say pop culture references help them learn.
Some multimedia that brings US presidents to life include:
- George Washington—Known as the father of the United States, George Washington chaired the convention that drafted the US Constitution. Module 4.2 of Poptential’s American History eBook includes a parody music video that reviews the preamble, articles, and amendments to the constitution.
- Abraham Lincoln – The 16th president is best known for leading the country through the Civil War, which resulted in the emancipation of slaves. Module 13.4 of Poptential’s American History eBook includes an excerpt from the film “Lincoln” illustrating the challenges facing the reunified country at the end of the war.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt – Known as FDR, the 32nd President navigated the country through the Great Depression, implementing the New Deal. Module 22.2 of Poptential’s American History eBook includes a video of its first inauguration.
- John F. Kennedy—The first Roman Catholic president of the United States, JFK is known for promoting the American space program and leading the country through the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was then assassinated. Module 26.1 of Poptential’s American History eBook includes JFK’s address to the nation about the nuclear missile buildup in Cuba.
- Ronald Reagan—The 40th President, Reagan is credited with the downfall of Soviet Russia. He remains one of the most popular presidents in American history due to his optimism for the country and his humor. Module 28.2 of Poptential’s American History eBook includes clips of Reagan using humor to bring the realities of communism to life.
Potential courses, used by more than 28,000 teachers in 50 states, include everything instructors need to teach a subject, digitally accessible in one place, including lessons, e-books, ringtones, quizzes and tests, as well as pop culture mediums to make lessons engaging and engaging for students. Curricula are standards-based and developed by social science educators.
Potential courses in American History, World History, US Government/Civic Education, and Economics are available for free at www.certell.org.
About Certell, Inc.
Certell is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to create informed and engaged citizens by supporting innovative teachers who are disrupting the traditional civic education system. Certell is the creator of Poptential, a family of free social studies courses that combine pop culture media with engaging digital storytelling for effective and dynamic learning. Poptential is used by teachers in all 50 states, was named the 2021 Best Tech&Learning Tool for Back to School, and is a 2021 Tech Edvocate Finalist. For more information, visit certell.org or Twitter @CertellOrg.
For more information, contact:
Mara Conklin, 847-340-6823
Kathy Zoeller, (312) 485-2422